Some come for the lifestyle, some for the affordable prices. Whatever your reason, the Sunshine Coast is one of Australia’s fastest growing and most desirable regions. It is a coastal region only 1 hour north of Brisbane in which beachside suburbs have median prices 30-50% less than the average Sydney prices.
Every year for the past decade, Queensland has had the highest net migration from interstate with an average of 12850 new people each year. Of the total, the Sunshine Coast region is adding approximately 4500 extra people making it the fastest growing region in QLD. The Sunshine Coast has consistently added this number even while other regions have slowed.
This constant addition of people has meant the demand for housing is high, with major new developments already underway including the Maroochydore CBD and the Caloundra West Aura housing development. The rental market is tight with around 1% vacancy rate and which leads the Sunshine Coast rental yields to now be higher than Brisbane.
The Sunshine Coast market has been relatively flat for the past 10 years (2006 to 2013). Now that the southern markets of Sydney and Melbourne have increased so dramatically and priced people out, Sunshine Coast property is now relatively cheaper in comparison.
With the addition of the new Sunshine Coast International Airport runway construction starting, and daily flights to the southern capitals of Sydney and Melbourne, (as well as Adelaide a few times a week and seasonal flights from New Zealand) improved access will lead to faster growth.
This bodes well for housing price growth, as the last time the Sunshine Coast market was this cheap in comparison to Sydney (back in 2001), we saw 5 years of unparalleled growth.
This is a great time to leave the mortgage stress and congestion of the southern states behind. If you are considering moving interstate, call and have a chat. SC Buyers Agents are locals and offer unbiased knowledge of the Sunshine Coast region and the property market.
Natural Beauty and Lifestyle of the Sunshine Coast
- Over 100 kilometres of safe swimming beaches, 10 national parks, conservation parks and two UNESCO-approved biospheres all of which provide the backdrop for our spectacular natural attractions.
- Diverse natural experiences within our beaches, forests, animals and flora and fauna
- From beautiful properties overlooking the ocean, to quaint cottages nestled in our pristine Hinterland, there is a multitude of choices
- One of Australia’s healthiest lifestyles reflected in the suite of sporting and food events for which we are becoming globally renowned.
- One of Queensland’s food bowls with an unparalleled range of fresh local produce and seafood embodied in our award winning restaurants, cafes and eateries and, in an array of farmers markets and farmgate /roadside stalls.
- A strong, contemporary arts culture, embraced by the collection of villages in which our artisans showcase their works.
- Glasshouse Mountains, steeped in Aboriginal myth and legend and an historic landmark for the region, as well as a rich pioneering history that witnessed the evolution of Queensland as it is today.
- Easy access from Brisbane and a natural gateway to the world’s largest sand island – Fraser Island.